This is the ultimate review to guide you through Darwin car insurance.
So if you want to get cover details, better value for money for your car insurance and tips to lower your insurance premium, then you might love the following article.
Let’s dive right in!
Table of Contents
Is Darwin a good car insurance company?
Getting the best car insurance deal is not all about the price. Indeed, focusing on just getting the cheapest deal might be a bad calculation when it comes to getting a good payout if you ever have an accident.
We’ve studied in detail Darwin car policy terms and conditions and given our own ratings based on different criteria.
4,0 Safe overall rating for Darwin
|Our rating||Our opinion|
|Customer service & satisfaction|
5 star rating on Defaqto
New car replacement is offered
|Value for money|
No Claims Discount available and can be transferred to other users
|Financial strength for pay out|
Darwin insurance is regulated by FCA and PRA
The website is user friendly and can be easily navigated
Expert and customer reviews on Darwin
We compiled expert and customer reviews from independent institutions, to give you an overall idea of Darwin’s reputation.
|Review organisation||Consumer satisfaction rates for Darwin|
|Defaqto expert rating for Darwin|
To check if Darwin is the right car insurance for you, you can use our free comparison tool and finally compare coverage features, optional extras, excess, admin fees and customer rating without having to give any personal information.
Our opinion on Darwin car insurance policy
Darwin insurance aims to offer comprehensive car insurance policy (only) in a simple and smart way as the slogan emphasizes on. The website is simple and organized with accessible information.
Darwin is regulated by the FCA and the Prudential Regulation Authority and its policies are underwritten by U K Insurance Limited which means the financial strength is good. The company is rated 5 stars by Defaqto expert. However, Trustpilot reviews for Darwin are only average (3,7/5), mainly mentioning that the online portal experience is quite poor. On the other hand, the company has 24/7 helplines to help customers.
In overall, Darwin insurance offers comprehensive cover with keycare cover, windscreen cover, personal accident cover, medical expenses cover, audio equipment cover as standard. But you will need to consult your policy schedule to exactly know what is covered.
Optional extras like Motor legal protection, Breakdown cover, Guaranteed Hire Car Plus are available to tailor your comprehensive policy depending on what you need. We always recommend to add those extras to your comprehensive offer as roadside assistance for instance will always be needed once in a lifetime.
With Darwin insurance, you can get up to 9 years NCB and NCB protection optional extra is available allowing you to make 2 claims in 3 years. However, no discounts or cashbacks apart from NCB are available and you will get to pay admin charges for cancellation for instance (£25 during cooling-off period).
What does Darwin car insurance policy cover?
Darwin insurance only offers the Comprehensive level of cover.
|Uninsured driver promise||yes|
|Courtesy car||as standard|
|New car replacement benefit||up to 12 months|
|Repairs guarantee||5 years|
|Motor Legal Protection||Optional|
|Guaranteed Car Hire Plus||Optional|
What does Darwin Comprehensive car insurance cover in details?
This is provided as an optional extra and two levels of covers are provided:
- Rescue: this level of cover includes the following:
- Roadside help: roadside assistance in the case that the driver’s car breaks down.
- Local recovery: alternative sources of transportation are provided for the driver and the passengers. The car would also be taken to an approve repairer in the case that it cannot be repaired immediately.
- Next-day collection: in the case that the repairer is not available at the time of the breakdown, the car can be collected and taken to the repairer the next day.
- Pass-a-message: messages are passed acrossed to the driver’s family in the case of a breakdown.
Recovery Plus – this level of cover includes:the benefits of the Rescue cover and in addition:
- Home breakdown: rescue or recovery services are provided even if the driver breakdown close to his/her home.
- Emergency driver: in the case that the driver is sick and is not capable to drive, a driver is provided by Darwin car insurance.
- Misfuelling: cover is provided in the case of a misfuelling incident. In this case, the driver can pick any of the following options: alternate transportation (in the case that the car cannot be repaired immediately, the driver and passengers are provided transportation to their destination) / temporary hire car (a temporaty vehicle which would be as similar to the driver’s faulty car. The temporary vehicle would come with a maximum engine size of 1600cc) / overnight stay (accommodation is provided for the driver and passengers with a limit of £150 for each passenger).
Darwin insurance provides the Hire Vehicle Option and it offers the following:
- Up to 21 days provision of a temporary car that is similar to your car if yours is written off or has been stolen or is undergoing repairs
- In case that a hire car could not be provided, a sum of 50 a day and up to a maximum of £500 for the next 21 days is provided to cover the travel costs .
Darwin insurance provides Personal accident cover in the case of:
- total irrecoverable loss of sight in one or both eyes (three months after the accident)
- loss of any limb.
The amount provided is listed on the policy schedule available only to the policyholder.
The windscreen cover provides protection in the case that there is a need to either replace or repair broken glass in the windscreen, sunroof or windows of the vehicle and also, in the case that damage has been done to the body of the vehicle as a result of the broken glass. It also covers the cost for the roof and windscreen replacement. The No Claim Discount is not affected.
Motor legal protection
In the case of an accident which was not the fault of the driver, a sum of £100,000 to cover for legal costs and expenses and also uninsured losses. The Motor Legal Protection is an optional extra of Darwin comprehensive cover.
Other guarantees offered at Darwin
- NCB Benefit: Yes
- Uninsured driver: Yes
- Personal belongings: Amount is only shown in the schedule
- Audio equipment & Sat Nav: Amount is only shown in the schedule
- Medical expenses: Amount is only shown in the schedule
- Liability limit: £20,000,000
- Courtesy car availability: As standard, Duration of repair
- Coverage abroad: 90 days
Excess and fees at Darwin
Excess for Darwin insurance are only stated in car insurance policy schedule and are not clearly stated online.
- APR charges on monthly payment: Not Stated
- Cancellation fees: Cancellation fees during cooling off period: £25
- Cancellation fees outside cooling off period: £50
- Adjustement fees: Adjustment fee: £0 online/£25 by phone
Darwin car insurance terms and conditions
How much does Darwin car insurance cost?
You’ll find below indicative car insurance quotes at Darwin:
|18 years old||£102,98|
|40 years old||£42,47|
|60 years old||£31,31|
Costs of Darwin insurance car policies vary widely based on different factors such as:
- The driver’s age
- The date on which they received their driving licence
- The type of car
- Expected repair costs if the car is damaged
- The performance, safety and security of the car
- The driver’s address and how busy the streets in the neighbourhood are
- Who drives the car (any additional driver on the policy)
- The driver’s record of accidents and claims (number of injuries, No Claim Bonus etc.)
- Insurance taxes.
The higher risk you represent, the more expensive your policy will be.
Finally, compare best car insurance in less than 20 secs without giving your email.
No spamming, promise.
Is there any promo codes or discounts available at Darwin?
Apart from the No Claims Discount, no other type of discount is offered at Darwin.
If you want to get a cheaper car insurance policy, another good way to do so is to never auto renew and always compare car insurance quotes.
Save more on your car insurance checking out our 13 tops tips to cut your insurance premiums!
What are the other car insurance policy types available at Darwin?
Darwin business car insurance
Darwin offers the following cover options:
- Social, Domestic and Pleasure (SDP)
- Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting (SDPC)
- SDPC & Business Use.
Further details as regarding Business use can be found in the Certificate of Motor Insurance which is only available to policyholders.
How to contact Darwin car insurance?
Darwin phone numbers
You will find all important phone numbers to contact Darwin auto insurance:
|Contact number||Opening hours|
0345 246 2083
0345 246 2083
0345 246 2089
Complaints for claims
0345 246 2089
0800 400 600
24 hour glass hotline
0800 328 9150
Darwin other contact details
You’ll find below Darwin main contact details:
|Contact details of Darwin|
|Customer account with Darwin login|
You can also contact them by mail by writing to Darwin car insurance:
How to claim on your Darwin car insurance?
If you need to make a claim at Darwin, you will need to contact the helpline at the number: 0345 246 2089.
If you want to report a windscreen or a window claim, you can directly contact Darwin Autoglass partner at: 0800 328 9150.
To claim on your car insurance, always prepare upfront:
- your policy number
- evidences of claim.
If your claim is related to crime (theft, fire etc.), you must go to the police before calling your insurer.
How to cancel your car insurance at Darwin?
Since car insurance is a legal requirement, Darwin will renew your policy automatically at the end of the policy period without any notification from your side. However, Darwin has the obligation to send you a renewal notice within 7 to 21 days before your contract comes to an end. You will therefore have 14 days – the cooling off period – to cancel your policy at reduced cancellation fees.
You can cancel your car insurance policy at any time but cancellation fees may apply especially if you cancel outside the cooling-off period.
To cancel your car insurance policy at Darwin insurance, you can call Darwin Customer Services on 0345 2462083.
Note that you can not cancel your policy via the ‘My Policy’ portal.
If cancelling within 14 days cooling-off period from the anniversary date of your policy, a £25 administration fee including Insurance Premium Tax will be charged.
You would need to have various documents ready such as:
- your policy number (right hand corner of your documents);
- your bank details; and
- your payment method in case there are cancellation fees.
Darwin could also refuse to cover your car any longer if you don’t pay for your premiums within the time allocated, if they find out that you omitted important information that was required by the company such as your driving experience or if you have committed a fraud of any kind (this act is known as ‘fronting’).
Darwin will send you a cancellation notice (usually 7 days).