We’ve become a gadget nation. We depend on our iphone to do our jobs, our shopping, and our homework – or just to have fun.
But that makes losing your iphone a major disaster.
Have you thought how much a could cost?
If it’s a three-figure sum, you’re definitely going to want gadget insurance that will protect you against having your iphone damaged or stolen. Let’s find out how iphone insurance works and how to get the best value protection for your stuff.
Table of Contents
What is iphone insurance?
Iphone insurance as the name suggests, protects your iphone against accidental damage, theft, loss, liquid or fire damage or mechanical failure depending on the level of cover chosen.
What are the best iphone insurances?
We selected a few providers that propose the best iphone insurance, here are their must-have features:
Do I need iphone insurance?
Repairing your iphone is much more expensive than just insure it for a few pounds per month. Here is a quick summary of main repair types and cost for your iphone:
|Repair Type||Average cost|
|Cracked screen||£130 to £322|
|Battery replacement||£25 to £100|
Iphone Insurance per model
|iPhone||Device price||Repair prices||battery price||Insurance prices|
|Iphone 11||£594.61||£199||£25||around £9 per month|
|Iphone 10||£999||£280||£25||around £8 per month|
|Iphone Xr||£749||£190||£65||around £8 per year|
|Iphone 7||£240||£150||£25||around £8 per year|
|Iphone 8||£250||£165||£25||around £8 per year|
Iphone are really valuable items, their value is known to all, both technologically and aesthetically, that is why it is also so easy to break, or to get stolen.
Average cost of an iphone is £500, depending on your iphone model, and iphone insurance is around £8. Most of the people owning an iphone had a bad experience whith their iphone last year, it can be from the crack screen to the battery replacement, that is why 1/4 brits take out an iphone insurance. The most insured mobile phone is the Iphone in UK, almost 80% of people want a quote that includes loss, theft, accident, etc. Having an iphone insurance is now something really common,
How does iphone insurance work?
You’ll pay an annual or monthly premium, in return for which you’re covered in accordance with your policy details. If anything happens to your iphone, you can claim on the insurance by contacting the insurer.
If you want to claim for theft, and you re covered for it, you will have to go to the police to declare it.
What is covered by iphone insurance?
You will be covered as standard for:
- Accidental damage: your iphone will be protected in case of any accidental damage, but it must not be negligence.
- Water damages: often included in iphone policies.
- Mechanical breakdown: this is also often covered in policies.
It may also include:
- Loss and theft, though this is often an add-on and you’ll have to pay extra for it. (You probably know if you’re a ‘loser’ – if you are, this cover can be well worth taking. The same goes for accident-prone gadget owners.)
You can also add:
Multiple phone insurance
Unauthorised usage of your Iphone
Iphone E-wallet cover
Iphone Travel insurance – worldwide travel for a limited period
What is not covered by iphone insurance?
Here are a few exclusions to your iphone insurance:
- Some insurers won’t insure your iphone over a certain age, eg 6 months or 2 years.
- Most insurers won’t cover a bought outside the UK.
- You won’t be able to insure a you bought second hand, or which has been refurbished.
- And you’ll need proof of purchase to insure your iphone
- You won’t be covered if you don’t take reasonable care.
- Some policies won’t cover your iphone if you use it for work. Make sure you check before you take out insurance.
Your paid-for downloads and apps are unlikely to be covered. You can’t claim for the cost of going on holiday again to recapture those holiday photos, either. So if you have loads of data on your gadget, make sure you have a backup.
How much it cost to repair your iphone?
Just repairing a cracked screen can cost over £100.
With over one in ten UK gadget owners saying they’ve cracked a screen recently, and almost as many saying they’ve had water damage to one of their gadgets, there are a lot of people heading to the repair shop or to buy a new gadget. And many of those people will be out of pocket. A few pounds a month isn’t much to pay to ensure you’re protected.
How much iphone insurance cost?
IPhone insurance is around £6-8, depending on the level of coverage you choose, and on your iphone’s value. It also depends if you took out accidental damage, theft and loss. Iphone 11 insurance will be more expensive than iphone 7 insurance for example.
How to cancel my iphone insurance?
There are two different ways to cancel your iphone insurance, depending on whether you want to cancel in the first 14 days, or later.
- The first 14 days after you buy a policy are known as the ‘cooling off period’ and you have the right to change your mind. You’ll usually need to send written notice and include the documents – but phone or email first to give yourself peace of mind and find out if there are any particular requirements.
- After that, things depend on whether you have signed up to a full year or to a monthly rolling policy. You’ll need to check your policy documents. If it’s a longer term policy you may need to pay a fee to cancel early, and if you’ve made a claim, you will have to pay till the end of the contract period.
How to make a claim on my iphone insurance?
The first thing to know about claiming on your iphone insurance is that you need to strike while the iron is hot – notify your claim within 24 hours. Some insurers give you even less time, just 12 hours to make a claim.
Your insurer will have a preferred way for you to claim, whether that’s by phone, or via an online portal. You’ll need to be able to provide the original receipt for your iphone
If your gadget was stolen, you will need to contact the police and get a crime reference number (CRN) to give to the police.
Some insurers will send you cash. Others will arrange for a repair or for a replacement gadget to be sent to you – which is why they need to know exactly what gadget you’re insuring. If this makes a difference to you, make sure you check the policy carefully before clicking the ‘buy’ button.
Can I take out a multiple iphone insurance?
Yes, you can have a multiple iphone insurance, here are two examples of multi iphone insurances and their discounts:
- Switched On insurance offers a 10% when insuring more than two gadgets
- i-Digitals proposes 10% off if you insure 2 gadgets and 40% if you insure more than two gadgets
Some insurers offer bigger discounts the more gadgets you add.