HC5(O) Optical Form

James Rodriguez James Rodriguez  updated on September 22, 2020

Glasses, contact lenses, sight test can be covered by the NHS only if you meet certain criteria.

Find out what is the HC5(O) NHS form to claim for a refund of optical costs. See who can be eligible for a refund, how to get one and much more.

Let's dive in!

HC5(O) optical form

hc5o refund claim form optical

What is a HC5 form?

The H5C form for optical care allows you to claim for NHS optical treatment refund.

You can claim if you are entitled to the Low Income Scheme and have a valid NHS certificate for full or partial help with healthcare costs.

If you wish to claim for another reason than a low income, you can complete the appropriate part in the form and send it together with the full explanation and receipt.

Your claim can not be accepted if you already use an optical voucher unless it is a 'complex len's one.

When are you entitled to free NHS sight tests?

Under certain circumstances, you will be eligible for free NHS sight tests such as:

  • if you are under 16, between 16 and 18 in full time education or over 60
  • if you are partially blind and registered
  • if you have been diagnosed with illness affecting sight such as diabete or glaucoma or if you are diagnosed as at risk
  • if you are a prisoner
  • if you receive allowance such as Income Support, Universal Credit, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • if you are entitled to a NHS certificate for full help on your healthcare costs (HC2 certificate)
  • if you are entitled to complex lens voucher as said by a clinic, meaning that your contact lenses are +10/-10 dioptres, or prism-controlled bifocal lenses.
  • etc.

If you are eligible for a HC3 NHS partial help certificate, you may get help for your glasses and contact lenses cost. You will first need to fill in the HC1 form to see whether you are eligible for the Low Income Scheme.

When to claim on optical healthcare costs?

You can claim on your optical healthcare costs for treatments related to:

  • sight tests
  • contact lenses
  • glasses.

You can claim for loss or damage made to your contact lenses or glasses, only if this loss or those damages are due to illness. You will need to send an explanation letter to exactly explain the circumstances of the loss/damage.

You need to claim within a limit of 3 months after you paid for your last optical treatment.

If you need any help filling in the form, you can contact the NHS Business Services Authority on 0300 330 1343.

Where to send the HC5 Optical Form

You can send your HC5 form properly filled in together with receipts and any evidence needed art the address: NHS Business Services Authority, Help with Health Costs, Bridge House, 152 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6SN.